8% of children in the UK are disabled | #DisabilityFactFriday


Image Description: Disabelliety logo with the text “Approximately 8% of children in the UK are disabled”. 

According to Scope, who cite the Family Resources Survey 2018-19, 8% of children in the UK are disabled. This may not sound like a lot, but translating that into population numbers makes hundreds of thousands of children. The Family Resources Survey also notes the number of children with a reported disability has increased from 6% in previous years (Department for Work and Pensions).

We must ensure that disabled children are represented and valued. I can only write from my personal experiences of a physically disabled person, but there are a few things I think we as a society could do to improve the lives of disabled children around the UK and the world, and along with looking at this fact I wanted to discuss two ways of doing this here. 

Improve the Representation of disabled children (and adults) - A phrase I’ve seen a lot in the disability community since I’ve started this blog is “Be who you needed when you were younger”, and I believe this effectively sums up both the need for, and impact of, representation. I’ve spoken a little about this on Instagram before, but growing up I wasn’t around many other children who looked like me or went through similar experiences. Most of the time, I didn’t mind this but there were times that our differences would be made very clear, such as in PE or when friends would meet in ways that I could not (at people’s houses, sports based parties etc). I used to get upset when I couldn’t participate, and if it could be adapted, didn’t want to be made the centre of attention. Representation goes beyond the people around us, it would make me happy when I saw someone in a wheelchair, for instance. Children need to see positive representations of children that they relate to, and adults, so that they can imagine their future.

Create more inclusive opportunities for children - Of course, everyone’s experiences and needs are different. Just as with the diversity of representation, we need to ensure wherever possible that children can have enjoyable experiences within their capabilities. Sometimes opportunities for just disabled children (for example social/sports groups) are the most appropriate and best way of giving children what they need. But I also think we could look to adapt experiences or certain activities where possible so that children don’t feel isolated or excluded from their nondisabled peers. For instance, ensuring venues are accessible to those with disabilities, or that children can choose not to participate in certain activities if they don’t feel comfortable.

As I have said before, I believe it is important that whatever our abilities are they are recognised within the context of our own situation and not necessarily the standards of society as a whole.

I didn’t plan this particularly but I wanted to also acknowledge that today is also Children in Need in the UK - a time to raise vital funds for incredible organisations that do so much to change children’s lives. More than ever whatever support you can give (not necessarily financial!) is needed in these strange times. 💛 Find out more here: https://www.bbcchildreninneed.co.uk/


Thanks for reading!

Ellie 

Sources:

Department for Work and Pensions. Family Resources Survey 2018/19. Available here. Accessed 13 Nov 2020 via Scope “Disability Facts and Figures” page. (Below).

Scope (unknown date) Disability Facts and Figures. Available online at: https://www.scope.org.uk/media/disability-facts-figures/ Accessed 13 Nov 2020

Comments

Popular Posts