Disability, Loneliness And How You Can Help During The Holiday Season | ❤️๐ŸŽ„


Image description: Disabelliety logo with Christmas graphics and red text reading, ‘Disability, Loneliness and How You Can Help During the Holiday Season’. Image my own, graphics added using Canva.

 Hello,

I hope you are keeping safe and well. I have taken a break from blogging for a while but wanted to get back to posting this month as the holidays are my favourite time of year. I know for some it isn’t, especially not this year with everything going on in the world. When I was sitting (listening to Christmas music I might add!) thinking about what to write, keeping connected and combatting loneliness was the first thing that came to mind. Loneliness is something many people, particularly disabled people struggle with, and something that has been exacerbated by the pandemic.

I wanted to discuss disability and loneliness but also look at the positives - what we could do to help anyone who might be feeling lonely. I should also emphasise that we should try to combat loneliness all year round, not just during the festive season! :)

While researching for this post, I came across some alarming statistics from the charity Sense. They note that just under half of people (in the research) feel they don’t have anything in common with disabled people (Sense, unknown date), while a quarter would avoid starting a conversation with a disabled person. (Sense, unknown date).  Statistics such as these suggest how easy it is for disabled people to be a risk of loneliness and social isolation, even without a pandemic. This could be due to inaccessibility of services or social situations, lack of confidence, understanding or support. It’s also important to recognise that some disabled people have great support networks, but for many (not all - everyone is different) disabled people the potential is there for loneliness.

Many of my posts on here come back to this, but I also think we need to try and reflect upon our attitudes towards disabled people. Disabled people can and do have good social networks, just as nondisabled people do, and probably have more in common with nondisabled people than society thinks. So (and I am never excused from these things!) it is vital that we try to judge a little less and try to connect with people if, and however, we are able.

I know it’s not very safe to be around others right now, so it is harder to physically be with people and keep them company that way. There are other things we can do though. Consider messaging someone you haven’t spoken to in a while if you can, give them a phone call or even send a a letter. Perhaps recommend some books, tv shows or films. Send some of their favourite food. These are just a few ideas, as it is more important than ever that we are there for each other in whatever ways we can be right now - and please only do the above if they can be done safely!

I know the above are perhaps not the most interesting suggestions, but they could brighten up someone’s day in ways we don’t realise. 

I hope to post again before Christmas, and definitely intend to post before the New Year. If I don’t post on here before Christmas (and if I do!) I’d like to wish anyone reading this a very Merry Christmas and happy holidays.


Ellie

Reference:


Sense (unknown date) ‘Loneliness’. Available online at: https://www.sense.org.uk/support-us/campaigns/loneliness/ Accessed 17 December 2020

Comments

Popular Posts